Thursday, September 22, 2011

"Jean-Luc" - Els Amics de les Arts

Song: Jean-Luc
Artist: Els Amics de les Arts
Album: Bed & Breakfast (2009)

We saw each other one summer night during a special series
of French cinema outdoors
My plan was to return home early but finally
everything drew out
and the two of us decided to go out for some fun.
It got late on us.
She said: "Don't get your car, if you want you can stay over.
In my apartment I've got a room just for guests.
I'm leaving a bedspread for you
Not for now, but later it gets really cold, you'll see.
If you're hungry or want water, help yourself,
You can do as if you were at home."
The way in which she said goodnight and winked was
easy to misinterpret.
I predicted a night for the ages,
climb a peak, do 8.000 metres,
do something difficult to equal.
But nothing was happening there,
just that silence
broken by my bed base.
Maybe I wasn't her type,
it was best not to do anything.
And on a far wall,
printed in black and white,
there was a poster of Godard.
Maybe he'd tell me,
because my head was spinning.
Oh Jean-Luc, oh Jean-Luc
I want to understand, but I can't.
He said that in cases like this one
it wasn't about being better-looking or uglier,
but rather having to conviction to do it.
I told him, "Yeah, but if I go there and she doesn't want to, then what? Then everything ends up a being a great bore".
He invited me to smoke
and in a long-take, a masterly phrase:
"A woman is a woman,
don't worry, it doesn't matter".
In the morning we had breakfast,
I didn't even look at her and when it was time to leave
she gave me a kiss that I'm still not sure how to interpret.
Oh Jean-Luc, oh Jean-Luc, I want to understand but I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment