Saturday, January 28, 2012

"Calgary 88" - Antònia Font

Voting for the annual Enderrock prizes is open until February 10. I haven't voted yet, because I still need to listen to some of the songs in the folk and singer-songwriter categories, but I know what I'm voting for best pop-rock song. This is easily my favorite song of 2011, ridiculously cute and absurd. I've even forgiven Antònia Font for introducing me to one of the most horrendous dance songs of the 1980s. Ah, and the picture on the left is my own work; please don't use it without permission.

Song: Calgary 88
Written by: Joan Miquel Oliver
Artist: Antònia Font
Album: Lamparetes (2011)

Qualified for the figure skating final,
it wasn't all physical or mental, it was emotional, too,
you and I were dating and we represented Spain
in the Winter Olympics in Canada.
Before we went out you said:
"Would you marry me?" and I replied:
"Today we'll be married, if we win the gold."
In synchrony and with maximum speed,
you go up in the air with incredible force
and, about to fall, I catch you.
you do a death spiral and I move carefully, we do an open curve,
I gather energy and lift you with just one hand.
You move gracefully like a ballerina on the point of the skates,
A double drumbeat sounds and we pretend to argue,
the jury exchange glances, I think they liked it,
we strike a final statuesque pose looking at the foundation laughing and breathing.
We dance this modern melody on an skating rink at Calgary '88,
the song is already playing over the loudspeaker: Atlantis is Calling (SOS for Love).
The announcers review that Russian received a 9.5
The favorites were Swedish and had just a 9.75
They raise the tables and all of them give us a 10,
You come towards me, embrace me, and step on my foot,
we ask a rink judge if he wants to marry us,
it's live and televised on all five continents,
on the podium with the medal we take each other's hand,
all can be heard though the microphones as we are married
and on TV you and I kiss.
We dance this modern melody on an skating rink at Calgary '88,
the song is already playing over the loudspeaker: Atlantis is Calling (SOS for Love).


1 comment:

  1. Could you translate some songs from "A Rússia" album:
    1.Canta
    3. Focs artificials
    11. Declar

    ReplyDelete